Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I enroll my child?
- When can I start my online application for the 2018-2019 academic year?
- When is your application deadline?
- What is required by the application deadline?
- What is the deadline for the rest of the requirements in the application process?
- Do you recommend for my child to apply to more than one private school?
- Can my child apply to both French and International Sections?
- Does my child need to speak a second language prior to attending Awty?
- Where can I have my child take the required standardized admission test?
- What do you mean by an achievement test?
- If I did not submit an online application for admission by the application deadline, can I still apply?
- What if I don't have a strong preference with regards to the immersion language?
- Can my child have a shadow visit prior to being accepted?
- Can you provide us with an early decision?
- Do you have transportation available?
- Do you have an after school care program?
- Is there a legacy policy?
- Do you offer Financial Aid or Scholarships?
Admission to the Awty International School is selective. The first step is to submit the online application for admissions. The deadlines to apply for August 2018 entry are October 31 for PK3/PS - 5/CM2 and November 30 for 6/6EME - 12/TLE. Please review the application requirements according to the grade/program your child will be applying to enter. Completed files will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee and notification of decisions are sent to parents by the second week of March.
The Awty International School begins accepting applications on August 1 one year ahead of the intended year of entry. For priority consideration, applications must be received by the stated deadlines. Applications from families learning of a relocation to Houston outside of the stated deadlines will be processed on a case-by-case basis depending on availability of openings in the intended grade(s) of entry.
As admission is selective and cannot be guaranteed, if your intention is for your child to attend a private school, we do recommend that you look into additional school options. A great resource for families looking for a private school in the area is www.houstonprivateschools.org
Awty has a very strong world language program. Students in our Preschool (PK3/PS-K/GS) participate in 50/50 immersion program in either English/Spanish or English/French and no previous exposure to the second language is expected. For the 2018-2019 school year, students in 1/CP and 2/CE1 will participate in a 60/40 dual language program with core classes being taught in English, French or Spanish and specials taught in the immersion language. We offer intensive language courses from beginner through native speaker levels in all other grades. If applying to the Upper School, please contact our office for more information on the beginner courses we will be offering the upcoming school year.
Applicants to K/GS and 1st grade/CP must submit the results of the WPPSI-IV.
Applicants to 2nd through 4th grade must submit the results of the WISC.
Locally, we recommend Collaborative Academic Testing Services (CATS). You may register online at www.catstexas.com.
For applicants outside of the Houston area, the WISC-IV and WPPSI tests can be taken with any certified diagnostician. Please have the results sent to The Awty International School. The test should be administered in the child's first language.
Applicants to 5th through 12th grade must submit results of the ISEE and the OLSAT. For 5th grade, the OLSAT is optional. The Awty International School will offer an administration of both tests on Saturday, December 2, 2017 and Saturday, January 6, 2018. For the ISEE, please register online at www.iseetest.org. Additional dates and locations throughout the US are available. Overseas applicants may register with Prometric for a location near them.
For the OLSAT, please contact the office of admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred date.
If applying to the International Section for PK3 through 2nd grade and you would be open to either French or Spanish immersion, please let the admissions office know and the admissions committee will determine the language placement based on the availability of openings. You will still need to indicate a preference when submitting your application.
Students applying to Middle and Upper School are invited to attenond our Open House on November 5, 2017 to get an inside look at the campus. Daily tours led by Upper School student ambassadors are also available. Shadow visits will be available to students who are accepted.
Students applying to the Primary School (PK3-5th grade/PS-CM2) are invited to campus for a Group Observation Visit on a Saturday morning as part of the application requirements.
We offer need-based aid to students accepted to first grade and above. Families must apply through SSS (School and Student Services by NAIS) and by submitting the Awty Application for Financial Aid. For more information, please visit this link.
French citizens may apply for the French Bourse.
Below are important dates and deadlines for admission to the 2018-2019 school year. Please note Awty adheres to the notification and reply dates set by the association of Houston Area Independent Schools:
- Priority Application Deadline – Primary: Tuesday, October 31, 2017
- Priority Application Deadline – Secondary: Thursday, November 30, 2017
- Deadline to complete requirements – All: Tuesday, January 16, 2018
- Notification of Decisions: Friday, March 9, 2018
- Parent Reply / Enrollment Deadline: Wednesday, April 11, 2018