The Awty International School is Houston’s premier international school, offering students a rigorous path to graduating with the:
We are the ONLY school in:
- Houston accredited by the French Ministry of Education
- Houston offering both tracks to the IB and FB diplomas
- Texas requiring all seniors to take the final exams in one of these two programs
This academic rigor is combined with a kind and friendly campus atmosphere, celebrating all cultural, national, and linguistic diversity.
Facts about Awty
- Founded in 1956 as a pre-school by Mrs. Kathleen “Kay” Awty. In 1978, formally merged with the French School of Houston, and soon thereafter purchased the current campus property. In 1984, officially became “The Awty International School”. In 1987, Awty adopted the IB program and in 1981, Awty adopted the FB program as its curricula.
- Enrollment in 2018-2019 – 1,689 students in PK-3/Petite Section to 12th Grade/Terminale.
- By program – 580 in French program, 1,109 in International
- By division – 394 Early Learning; 432 Lower School; 345 Middle School; 518 Upper School
- By gender – 55% Female, 45% Male
- By nationality/country of origin –
- 46% U.S. citizens
- 17% U.S. citizens with multiple citizenship
- 29% from France
- 37% from one or more of 70 other countries
- Ethnicity – 50% identify themselves as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/South East Asian, Native American, or Multiracial
- Languages spoken – 65 in addition to English. 61% of students are multilingual
- Faculty – 239 faculty members; 61.5% hold advanced degrees; 71% are bilingual. They average 14.8 years of teaching experience.
- Facilities – A 26-acre main campus for Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools. Dedicated classroom buildings include science and computer labs, music studios, indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, and dining halls. A second 5-acre Early Learning Campus nearby for PK3/PS, PK4/MS, Kinder/GS, and 1st Grade/CP featuring 26 classrooms, dedicated indoor spaces for art, music, dining, after-school program, and technology, as well as a full gym. Outdoors, the facility features two playgrounds, learning gardens, and three decks for class activities.
For an aerial tour of the campus, click here.
- Accreditations and Associations –
- Accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), French Ministry of Education, the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS), the International Baccalaureate (IB), and the Dutch Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap.
- Member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Mission Laïque Française (MLF), the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Association of French Schools in North America (AFSA), Houston Area Independent Schools (HAIS), and the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS).
- Awty is a tax-exempt, charitable organization classified as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit by the Internal Revenue Service.