The Awty International School is Houston’s premier international school, offering students a rigorous path to graduating with the:
We are the ONLY school in:
- Houston offering both tracks to the IB and FB diplomas
- Texas requiring all seniors to take the final exams in one of these two programs
This academic rigor is combined with a kind and friendly campus atmosphere, celebrating all cultural, national, and linguistic diversity.
Facts about Awty
- Founded in 1956 as a pre-school by Mrs. Kathleen “Kay” Awty. In 1978, formally merged with the French School of Houston, and soon thereafter purchased the current campus property. In 1984, officially became “The Awty International School”. In 1987, Awty adopted the IB program and in 1981, Awty adopted the FB program as its curricula.
- Enrollment in 2019-2020 – 1,731 students in PK-3/Petite Section to 12th Grade/Terminale.
- By program – 604 in French program, 1,127 in International
- By division – 394 Early Learning; 465 Lower School; 331 Middle School; 541 Upper School
- By gender – 53% Female, 47% Male
- By nationality/country of origin –
- 45% U.S. citizens
- 17% U.S. citizens with multiple citizenship
- 38% from one or more of 70 other countries
- Ethnicity – 59% identify themselves as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/South East Asian, Native American, or Multiracial
- Languages spoken – 64 in addition to English. 60% are bilingual.
- Faculty – 249 faculty members; 61% hold advanced degrees; 61% are bilingual. They average 16.4 years of teaching experience.
- Facilities – A 26-acre main campus for Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools. Dedicated classroom buildings include science and computer labs, music studios, indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, and dining halls. A second 5-acre Early Learning Campus nearby for PK3/PS, PK4/MS, Kinder/GS, and 1st Grade/CP featuring 26 classrooms, dedicated indoor spaces for art, music, dining, after-school program, and technology, as well as a full gym. Outdoors, the facility features two playgrounds, learning gardens, and three decks for class activities.
For an aerial tour of the campus, click here.
- Accreditations and Associations –
- Accredited by the French Ministry of Education, the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS), the International Baccalaureate (IB), and the Dutch Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap.
- Member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Mission Laïque Française (MLF), the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Association of French Schools in North America (AFSA), Houston Area Independent Schools (HAIS), Houston Junior Preparatory Conference (HJPC), and the Southwest Preparatory Conference (SPC).
Awty is a tax-exempt, charitable organization classified as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit by the Internal Revenue Service.