Awty Communication Tools
The school provides several ways for families to stay connected and informed during the school year. Click on the tabs below to learn more about each communication tool provided by the school.
- Awty Notes
- EMAIL COMMUNICATION FROM THE SCHOOL
- WEBSITE / PARENT PORTAL
- My Backpack
- Accent e-Magazine
- Social Media
- School Directory
- Emergency Communications
Awty Notes is your access to the week ahead during the school year. This weekly electronic communication is the most important communication source provided by the school to the Awty community. It provides important information from each division, as well as invitations to upcoming events, meeting details, news from the parent volunteer groups, and much more.
Awty Notes is emailed out to all Awty parents, secondary students, teachers, staff members, and board members. You are strongly encouraged to read Awty Notes each week to stay informed of the latest news and happenings at Awty. You can also access the weekly newsletter at any time by going to Awty Communication Tools located inside the myAWTY portal. If you miss a week, you can also access the Awty Notes archives under Awty Communication Tools.
The first issue for the 2020-2021 school year will be sent out on Friday, August 28, 2020.
Awty frequently communicates to families via mass emails including Awty Notes, the school's weekly electronic newsletter and Accent, the school's electronic magazine. The school sends out regular emails regarding events, photos, board news, Awty Plus announcements, Awty invoices, and more. Important messages from the Head of School are also sent via email periodically throughout the year. You will also periodically receive emails from room parents and/or grade liaisons regarding classroom news. Furthermore, mass email communication is one of the ways the school reaches out to Awty families during emergency situations. For these reasons, it is extremely important the school has at least one good email address for each family. To ensure you receive emails from Awty, please be sure to provide a current email address to Terri de Leon in the Business Office.
If you find during the school year that you are no longer receiving emails from Awty, here are a few steps you can take:
- Add the following email addresses to your email contacts: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check your Spam, Junk, and/or Clutter folders.
- Check with your internet provider to see if emails from email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org are being blocked/filtered. Ask them to allow emails from these addresses to come through to your mailbox. If you are using a company email address (i.e., email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org), check with the IT Administrator and ask them to allow all emails from this address.
- If you are still not receiving Awty emails after following steps 1-3, please send an email to Gwen Cario, Director of Communications.
Please note: If, for some reason during the school year, you unsubscribe from an Awty email, you will be unsubscribing from all mass emails including Awty Notes, Head of School communications, and emergency messages.
Awty's website is one of the school’s primary forms of communication with parents. Parents have their own private portal (myAWTY) where they can obtain the latest information including access to their child's classes, as well as calendars, event information, online forms, student trip information, and more.
To access the myAWTY portal, click here or you can click on the “myAwty” button located at the top of this page or any web page on Awty's website.
You will use the same user name and password you use to access My Backpack. If you lose or forget this information, please contact either Sina Thompson in the IT Department or Terri de Leon in the Business Office. Please note: new families should receive access to the portal in July.
AWTY NEWS ALERTS
Through the Awty website, you can sign up to receive Awty News Alerts by visiting the News web page and clicking on the yellow alerts icon. In the pop-up window, simply select how you would like to receive the alert for each category. You can select any number of categories. When finished, click the “Update Settings” button. It is that easy! Once you’ve signed up, you will receive a text message and/or email every time a news item is posted. (Please note: Occasionally featured news items that are posted on the website are also sent to the Awty community via an email message directly from the school. In these instances, it is possible you will receive two emails with the same message.)
ATHLETIC TEAM ALERTS
You can also sign up to receive alerts about a particular athletic team. First go to the Teams & Schedules web page and select the athletic team you want to follow. Once on the athletic team page you selected, scroll down to the schedule and click on the yellow alerts icon. A pop-up window should open. Here, you can sign up to receive team updates and event reminders by selecting the blue alerts button! Available updates include postponements, cancellations, and event results. When finished click the “Update Settings” button. You can also export a team's schedule to your mobile device or personal calendar. Click here for complete instructions.
Using Awty's Online Calendar, you can customize your personal calendar view to display events tailored to your interests. First, select the blue Filters icon. Then check the boxes next to the desired calendars and click "Apply". The settings will be saved by a browser cookie for the next time you view the online calendar. You can also export Awty’s calendar to your mobile device or personal calendar. Click here for complete instructions.
My Backpack is an online tool that allows parents to access their account and student information electronically. My Backpack is the interface with the Student Information System, giving parents convenient and private access to their child’s schedule, attendance information, and term grades over a secure, password-protected internet connection. Through My Backpack, parents can also update their profile, access student, parent, and staff/faculty directories, and pay invoices, which are posted in My Backpack on the 15th of every month. You can access My Backpack through the myAWTY Portal or by using the Quicklinks menu located in the top right corner of every page on Awty's website. For new parents, you should have received your user name and password upon completion of enrollment. If you did not receive this information or if you are having problems accessing My Backpack, please contact Terri de Leon.
ACCENT is electronic e-magazine that is published by the Advancement Department and sent out via email three times a year to the entire Awty Community including parents, board members, alumni, former parents, staff, faculty, donors, and friends of the school. This publication focuses on the development of the school, the achievements of its students and teachers, and major events/activities. Each issue of ACCENT also features video messages from the Head of School and Proviseur.
Articles published in ACCENT are based on timely submissions of completed stories related to Awty and significant student or teacher accomplishments. The Advancement Department reserves the right to edit submissions, as well as the right to publish/not publish submissions at their discretion.
Click here to read issues from last school year.
Of Special Note: A Parent's Guide to Awty, an electronic publication that features everything you need to know about the start-of-school, is sent out each August in place of ACCENT.
Awty is on Facebook and Twitter. The school regularly posts photos, news, and event information on these social media outlets. On Facebook, look for The Awty International School or @awtyintlschool. On Twitter, look for @awtyintlschool.
The school also has its own YouTube channel to host videos from events throughout the school year. These videos are also periodically embedded into news stories on the school's website or shared to the school's Facebook and Twitter accounts. Links to the school's social media accounts are also provided at the bottom of every web page on Awty's website.
Check out some of our latest posts on our YouTube channel:
YOU CAN HELP PROMOTE AWTY!
As members of the Awty community, we want you to be our cheerleaders. You can help promote Awty by following these quick, easy steps:
- Like Awty's page on Facebook. Follow Awty on Twitter. Subscribe to Awty's YouTube channel.
- LIKE or LOVE the school's posts on each social media account.
- Share the school's posts on Facebook and retweet the school's tweets on Twitter.
- Write positive comments on each post.
- Write positive reviews on Facebook, niche.com, greatschools.org, (and if you work at Awty, glassdoor.com).
A searchable online student directory, as well as a staff/faculty directory is available through My Backpack.
The directory is for the exclusive benefit of the students, parents, and personnel of Awty. The directory and/or the database shall not be given or sold to any external source, and those affiliated with the school are expected to respect this policy. None of the school directories should be used for commercial use. Do not publish.
If you have any questions about the school directory, please contact your child’s division assistant.
At any time during the school year, weather conditions, power outages, or other unforeseen circumstances could require schedule changes, delays, or school closures. The Awty International School will contact all current families, teachers, staff members, and board members only if and when the school must close or delay opening. Please note the following procedures:
- Awty will NOT follow any other ISD or private school in regards to announcements of school closings. Awty will assess its own situation, always keeping in mind the safety of our students as paramount.
- Awty will commit to making a decision no later than 6:00 a.m. on the morning of inclement weather. This will ensure that any announcement is posted on our website and social media accounts and reported to the local media by 6:30 a.m. In some instances, announcements will be made the previous day.
- Using the School Messenger and Finalsite notification systems, Awty will send emergency messages via an email, voice message, AND/OR text message to all current families, teachers, staff members, and board members.
- Awty will use a combination, if not all, of the following methods to rapidly convey closures or delays to our community:
- School website
- Social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter)
- Local media outlets
- Phone messaging system
- Email messaging system
- Text messaging system
- Awty recommends that all parties check the school’s website periodically for updated announcements.
- Emergency pop-up announcements posted to the school’s website can be found on the home page.
In the event the school needs to be closed early, the following procedures will be used to ensure that students arrive home safely.
Student Release Procedures:
- An attempt will be made to contact the student’s parent/guardian (or emergency contact).
- If contact is successful, the student will be released
- If the contact attempt to a parent/guardian (or emergency contact) is not successful, the student will be kept at school (safe and supervised) until a parent/guardian (or emergency contact) is able to pick up the student. No second bus run will be made.
- Students who drive themselves to and from school will be released at the time of the school closing.
TYPES OF ANNOUNCEMENTS:
SCHOOL CLOSED means the entire school will be closed for one day only. All meetings, field trips, and after school activities will be canceled.
SCHOOL ONE-HOUR DELAY means that the school will open late by one hour and buses will operate one hour later than the normal schedule. Students will be dismissed at the regular time in the afternoon unless otherwise announced.
SCHOOL TWO-HOUR DELAY means that the school will open late by two hours and buses will operate two hours later than the normal schedule. Students will be dismissed at the regular time in the afternoon unless otherwise announced
PLEASE NOTE: These announcements are for one day only. If the school needs to remain closed for multiple days, a new message will be posted on Awty’s website and social media accounts each day. A new email, voice message, AND/OR text message will also be sent each day to all current families, teachers, staff members, and board members. No announcement means normal operations.
Throughout the school year, Awty representatives may photograph, film, and/or live stream students at any and all school events/activities for the school’s use in marketing materials, videos, internal and external electronic publications, social media platforms, and media relations. This statement serves as public notice of the school’s intent to do so for the 2020-2021 school year. If you object to the use of your child’s image in photographs and/or videos, you have the right to withhold its release by sending a written statement to Gwen Cario, Director of Communications, each school year.
Please note: The school makes every effort to protect student identity. Students are not identified in photos or videos unless the story or article associated with the photo/video is directly about the student.