Early Learning Campus
- Back-to-School Dates
- PK3/PS Required Document
- Dress Code / Uniforms
- Awty Plus (After-School Program)
- Books and Supplies
- Summer Reading and Handwriting
Primary School Orientation
Tuesday, August 18
9:00 - 10:30 a.m.
Friday, August 21
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
ELC Carpool Practice
Friday, August 21
2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
First Day of Classes
Monday, August 24
Tuesday, August 25
Wednesday, August 26
Thursday, August 27
DRIVING ON CAMPUS
Please help us keep our community, especially the students, safe by respecting the following guidelines when driving on campus:
- Drive slowly and prudently on campus. The speed limit is 5 miles per hour.
- Cell phone use, including texting, is prohibited while driving on campus and in carpool.
- Obey all posted signs and agents of the school.
- Upon entering campus, you will need to display the official Awty window decal. It is dark green with white lettering. The Awty International School assigns two car decals per family. The decals are to be placed on the upper right corner of your car’s (driver’s side) windshield on the outside. You should receive these decals in the mail prior to school starting. If you require additional car decals please contact Maritza Ramos.
- These decals will enable you to enter the school campus. If you do not have the decal on your vehicle for the Awty security to see, you will be stopped for security purposes.
- In addition to the school car decal, and to help with safety and ease of access, we have License Plate Recognition (LPR) Cameras at both campuses. We will be utilizing this system to help us account and identify who has filled out our wellness checklist, so please help keep everyone safe by completing this information. What you need to do:
- Register your vehicles (including students) in My Backpack under My Forms/Documents>My Forms if you have not done so already. Please have this accomplished by the end of September.
- The cameras are set up to read your front license plate as you enter and will lift the security arm if you are registered in the system. Please note: the state of Texas requires a front license plate.
- The system will also help us identify vehicles not in the system during carpool, so please register all of your vehicles.
- Please do not register rental or loaner vehicles or temporary paper license plates.
- We appreciate everyone utilizing the new sticker format instead of the hangtags. Due to the design on some vehicles, it made it impossible to identify or see the hangtags, and on some, parents could not even hang their tags. As we try to improve our compliance here at Awty on security, thank you for following this new protocol.
Any violation of these rules may result in the loss of driving privileges on school property.
Due to an increase in pedestrian traffic crossing Awty School Lane, please be patient during traffic delays and watch for pedestrians crossing the street.
The pick-up times are desired, not required, as we understand it is not always possible to predict exact travel times in Houston traffic. However, if we all work together, we are confident we can organize dismissal in a safe and efficient manner.
EARLY LEARNING CENTER (PK3/PS - 1st Grade/CP):
The ELC carpool map will be available at a later time and will be sent directly to parents.
- GS/K and CP/1st: 7:20 - 7:50 a.m.
- PS/PK3 and MS/PK4: 7:50 - 8:10 a.m.
- GS/K and CP/1st: 2:35 - 3:00 p.m.
- PS/PK3 and MS/PK4: 3:00 - 3:25 p.m.
Important: Please complete this online form once you have received your class placement. This form will open once the class lists have been posted so please check back.
Students in PK3/PS and PK4/MS wear regular clothing. Please send one change of clothes in a closable bag to school with your child. Please label all items of clothing and the bag with the child's name. A change of clothes must be kept in the classroom throughout the school year.
Kinder/GS and 1st grade/CP students must wear the school uniform. Dennis Uniform is our provider and offers three convenient ways to shop:
- Shop online at: https://www.dennisuniform.com. Register an email for sale notifications.
- Shop at their store located at 7613 Katy Freeway, Suite G, 77024. *The store is not currently open for in-person shopping due to COVID-19, but contactless curbside pickup is now available.
- Call Customer Service at 1-800-854-6951 to place a phone order. School code: VAI.
Please make sure your child's name is labeled on his/her uniform, sweaters, and jackets. Please review the Uniform Policy for details by grade level and division.
Please visit the Awty Plus section of the website for detailed information about our after-school program, which will run both at the ELC and on the main campus.
We are offering Awty Plus for Segment 1, but only Homework Assistance and Stay & Play. Awty Plus will keep students in their designated cohorts, so there will not be any crossover in Segment 1.
Registration for Fall 2020 will open on August 11 for ELC and August 14 for Lower School at 11:00 a.m.
All the required books and supplies for the Early Learners are included in the Book Fee. For on-campus learners, the books and supplies will be placed in the students’ classrooms before the first day of school.
Books and supplies for those Early Learning and Lower School students who will be learning at home during Segment 1 may be picked up in the main carpool line under the garage on August 20 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
There is no better preparation for the start of school than reading. This is especially important for students preparing to enter 1st grade/CP. The Houston Area Independent School Library Network (HAISLN), of which Awty is a member, prepares a list of recommended reading by age groups. Students should choose books from the list of the grade just completed, not the grade they will be entering in August. Children entering 1st grade should choose six books from the Preschool list; children entering CP should choose three.
SUMMER HANDWRITING PRACTICE
Students in 1st grade/CP at Awty practice and begin using lower case cursive letters for writing. To ease the transition for students who have not been exposed to cursive handwriting in Kinder/GS, parents are encouraged to contact Stanley Way, Head of Early Learning, to receive a packet of lower case cursive letters used at Awty.