- Back-to-School Dates
- Books and Supplies
- Summer Reading and Handwriting Practice
- School Uniforms
- Awty Plus (After-School Program)
Primary School Orientation
Tuesday, August 18
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Friday, August 21
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
First Day of Classes
(both on campus and at home)
Monday, August 24
Monday, August 25
Monday, August 26
Monday, August 27
All the required books and supplies for Lower School students are included in the Book Fee. For on-campus learners, the books and supplies will be placed in the students’ classrooms before the first day of school.
Books and supplies for those Early Learning and Lower School students who will be learning at home during Segment 1 may be picked up in the main carpool line under the garage on August 20 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Dictionary for CM1 and CM2: The Petit Larousse Illustré dictionary is required for students in CM1 and CM2 and is not included in the Book Fee. Students may use a recent edition, but if you would like to order the latest edition, please log onto My Backpack > My Forms/Documents > My Forms and submit the order form as soon as possible.
Important: This dictionary cannot be returned or exchanged.
If you have any questions, please contact the School Store.
Le dictionnaire : « Le Petit Larousse Illustré » est requis pour les élèves en CM1 et CM2 et n’est pas inclus dans le « Book Fee ». Les élèves peuvent utiliser une édition récente ou la dernière édition. Si vous voulez commander la dernière édition, veuillez soumettre le formulaire de commande sur My Backpack > Forms/My Documents > My Forms dès que possible.
Importante: Ce dictionnaire ne peut être ni retourné ni échangé.
Si vous avez des questions, veuillez contacter le School Store.
We encourage you to use this list (or to choose any other books of interest) and participate in the Lower School summer reading initiative. Each summer we pledge $0.25 (2nd/CE1-3rd/CE2) or $0.50 (4th/CM1-5th/CM2) for each book our students read and register in our online portal. The proceeds go to support a local non-profit organization serving our community. To learn more about the Summer Reading Challenge and to establish your child's summer reading account, please click here. We hope you will not only give the gift or reading to your child over the summer, but you will also help us do good in our local community.
Please note: The School Store does not carry the books on the summer reading lists.
Students in Lower School at Awty learn both block print and cursive handwriting. To ease the transition for students who have not been exposed to cursive, parents are encouraged to purchase practice books such as the D’Nealian Handwriting Books available at most retail bookstores and online. The practice books should include both lower and upper case letters.
DRIVING ON CAMPUS
Please help us keep our community, especially the students, safe by respecting the following guidelines when driving on campus:
- Drive slowly and prudently on campus. The speed limit is 5 miles per hour.
- Cell phone use, including texting, is prohibited while driving on campus and in carpool.
- Obey all posted signs and agents of the school.
- Upon entering campus, you will need to display the official Awty window decal. It is dark green with white lettering. The Awty International School assigns two car decals per family. The decals are to be placed on the upper right corner of your car’s (driver’s side) windshield on the outside. You should receive these decals in the mail prior to school starting. If you require additional car decals please contact Maritza Ramos.
- These decals will enable you to enter the school campus. If you do not have the decal on your vehicle for the Awty security to see, you will be stopped for security purposes.
- In addition to the school car decal, and to help with safety and ease of access, we have License Plate Recognition (LPR) Cameras at both campuses. We will be utilizing this system to help us account and identify who has filled out our wellness checklist, so please help keep everyone safe by completing this information. What you need to do:
- Register your vehicles (including students) in My Backpack under My Forms/Documents>My Forms if you have not done so already. Please have this accomplished by the end of September.
- The cameras are set up to read your front license plate as you enter and will lift the security arm if you are registered in the system. Please note: the state of Texas requires a front license plate.
- The system will also help us identify vehicles not in the system during carpool, so please register all of your vehicles.
- Please do not register rental or loaner vehicles or temporary paper license plates.
- We appreciate everyone utilizing the new sticker format instead of the hangtags. Due to the design on some vehicles, it made it impossible to identify or see the hangtags, and on some, parents could not even hang their tags. As we try to improve our compliance here at Awty on security, thank you for following this new protocol.
Any violation of these rules may result in the loss of driving privileges on school property.
Due to an increase in pedestrian traffic crossing Awty School Lane, please be patient during traffic delays and watch for pedestrians crossing the street.
The pick-up times are desired, not required, as we understand it is not always possible to predict exact travel times in Houston traffic. However, if we all work together, we are confident we can organize dismissal in a safe and efficient manner.
LOWER SCHOOL (2nd Grade/CE1 - 5th Grade/CM2):
Click here for the Lower School carpool map.
- 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.
- 2:55 - 3:20 p.m.
Important: Please complete this online form once you have received your class placement. This form will open once the class lists have been posted so please check back.
- Shop online at: https://www.dennisuniform.com. Register an email for sale notifications.
- Shop at their store located at 7613 Katy Freeway, Suite G, 77024. *The store is not currently open for in-person shopping due to COVID-19, but contactless curbside pickup is now available.
- Call Customer Service at 1-800-854-6951 to place a phone order. School code: VAI.
Please review the Uniform Policy for details by grade level and division.
Please visit the Awty Plus section of the website for detailed information about our after-school program, which will run both at the ELC and on the main campus.
We are offering Awty Plus for Segment 1, but only Homework Assistance and Stay & Play. Awty Plus will keep students in their designated cohorts, so there will not be any crossover in Segment 1.
Registration for Fall 2020 will open on August 11 for ELC and August 14 for Lower School at 11:00 a.m.