Organized by the Awty Parents and Personnel Association (APPA), this year’s International Festival will come alive with the sights and sounds of Indonesia, the country of honor, on April 19-20, 2018. Event Chairs Letty Dion and Ibela Penichet are returning for their third year coordinating this two-day event for Awty students and families.
On Thursday morning, the festival opens with the traditional parade of flags, which will be carried by the Class of 2018. Those in attendance will learn about Indonesia's history, traditions, and culture. After the ceremony, Middle School and Upper School students will take turns during the day visiting the booths and learning about the culture and customs of each country represented.
On Friday, students and staff/faculty alike celebrate their heritage by wearing their national dress. During the day, Pre and Lower School students take their turns visiting the booths. They will collect stamps, accumulate souvenirs, and taste delicious foods from around the world. The festival concludes with a Parade of Nations, live entertainment, and a savory family dinner catered to the Awty community.
The festival is made possible thanks to the dedication, time, and energy of our parent volunteers, and for this we thank you!
- Booth Chair Responsibilities
- Registered Countries and Booth Chairs
- Parade of Nations Participant Registration
Before the Festival:
- Recruit booth volunteers as needed and be the contact between the International Festival co-chairs and the volunteers for the country booth. Reach out before the holidays to bring items from home country.
- Recruit one student (sign holder) to represent your booth at the Opening Ceremony (full dress uniform/4th grade and up, no Seniors because they will be holding the flags). Please email us by the deadline date, March 20.
- Email any special requests (electricity, etc.) to IF chairs by January 31, 2017. Per order of the school, only 25 booths can have electricity. It will be assigned on a first requested, first served basis.
- Coordinate booth decorations, food, and souvenirs for both days of the festival.
- Middle and Upper School students visit on Thursday (approximately 864 students), Early Learningl and Lower School students visit on Friday (approximately 840 students). Parents and teachers visit throughout both days.
- Coordinate volunteer shifts to make sure there is always a volunteer in the booth.
- Communicate the booth guidelines to the volunteers.
- Individual booth coordinators are encouraged to contact their nation's Consulate for support, information, distribution items, etc.
- Attend the two chair and volunteer meetings (November and March)
During the Festival:
- Decorate the booth the day prior to the festival, Wednesday, April 18
- Ensure your booth has everything it needs and that volunteers are there when the students visit the booths throughout the two days. Booths are open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday and from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Friday. Students will start visiting booth sharply at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday and 8:00 a.m. on Friday.
- Ensure everything is taken down at the end of the festival on April 20 at 5:00 p.m.
|Maria Eugenia Cangucufirstname.lastname@example.org
|FRANCE||Julie Audren Eturemail@example.com|
|ITALY||Maria Teresa Sgrignuoli Fenogliofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Milena Mengarelli Spadiniemail@example.com|
|JAPAN||Rie Kojima Angelifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MALAYSIA||Anastasia Lim Willoughbyemail@example.com|
|NIGERIA||Adeola Mike Iraborfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|ROMANIA||Ana Maria Nicolaeemail@example.com|
|SOUTH AFRICA||Heidi Mullerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|TRINIDAD & TOBAGO||Annie Secheeranemail@example.com|
|UNITED KINGDOM||Sandy Hartleyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|URUGUAY||Margarita Martirena Mottaemail@example.com|
|UNITED STATES||Janet Stonefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Every year the International Festival culminates with a Parade of Nations. Student participants wear their national dress and share some of their culture with the Awty Community. It is a fantastic event that your child won't want to miss. It is open to Preschool and Lower School students. The event will be held on Friday, April 20 at 3:30 p.m. Participants will be required to participate in two practices: one on April 5 and one on April 16. Registration is now open through March 6.
Past Honored Countries
- 2017 Pakistan
- 2016 Turkey
- 2015 The Netherlands
- 2014 Australia
- 2013 Brazil
- 2012 Argentina
- 2011 USA
- 2010 Iran
- 2009 Ireland + Great Britain
- 2008 Africa
- 2007 China
- 2006 Jamaica
- 2005 India
- 2004 Thailand
- 2003 Mexico
- 2002 France