LoginSearch
French Section  International Section
email page print page small type large type
The Awty International School
Home >
Academics > International Section
Tools :

International Section

The Awty International School, founded in 1956, enrolls 1,500 students from Preschool through Upper School. In 1979, The French School of Houston merged with The Awty School, and in 1984, in honor of our truly international student population, we became The Awty International School. Today, Awty is the second largest international school in The United States enrolling students from over 50 countries; 54% of Awty students hold international passports, and the remaining 46% are United States citizens. Many of Awty's international students come to Houston because their parents are employed in the energy industry.

The Awty International School offers its students two academic programs: a traditional American college preparatory curriculum, leading to the International Baccalaureate and a program, approved by the French Government, leading to the French Baccalaureate.

The International Baccalaureate Program (IB) is an internationally acclaimed, comprehensive, college-preparatory academic course of study that encourages students to become actively involved and enthusiastic about their education. While the actual IB Diploma Program begins in 11th grade, all Awty students in the international section enroll in IB prep courses in grades 8, 9 and 10. Diploma candidates study six subjects, three at the "Higher Level" and three at the "Standard Level." Their studies culminate with six externally-assessed examinations in May of the senior year. The six subject areas are 1st Language, 2nd Language, Math, Science, Social Science and Art. Additionally, students must complete at least 150 "CAS" hours representing creativity, action and service, as well as successfully complete a capstone course called "The Theory of Knowledge" and an extended research essay of a maximum of 4,000 words.

International Grading System - Awty is on a trimester system. Awty students receive unweighted numeric grades for each course based on a 1-100 scale. The lowest passing grade is 60. GPA's are cumulative based only on junior and senior year grades and calculated at end of 11th and 12th grade. We do not calculate GPA's for freshmen or sophomores, nor do we include grades earned at other schools in our GPA. Awty DOES NOT rank its students, nor does it weight grades.

Secondary Language Options - At Middle and Upper School, some students may take a third language. The school currently offers Arabic, Chinese, German, Italian, French, Dutch and Spanish. There is also some Latin available in the French Section. It must be understood clearly that the School does not guarantee instruction in these languages at every grade at all ability levels.

Furthermore, such courses are available only if there is a sufficient number of students at a particular grade level who are proficient enough in the language to follow the program, and if the hours can be scheduled. The school has the final decision on whether to run a class at a particular grade level and whether a student is suited to the class. In the Lower School, students are able to take a third language in the Awty Plus Program. Further questions regarding language options should be directed to the Language Department Chair, Mr. Javi Marin, (ext. 5855).

  Find us on Facebook.  Follow awtyintlschool on Twitter     © AWTY  |  7455 Awty School Lane  |  Houston, Texas, USA 77055  |  T 713 686 4850  |  F 713 686 4956  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us |  Quicklinks
powered by finalsite