Capital Campaign Overview
Today, Awty is the largest independent international day school in the United States, enrolling 1,590 students from 56 countries. Since 2007, the school has pursued completion of a Campus Master Plan to meet the needs of our current students and faculty. At the same time, enrollment has grown from 1,149 to the current 1,590.
A recent analysis of our facilities showed that Awty has just over half the square footage of our competitors (147 sq. ft. per student vs. 250 sq. ft. per student). Our current facilities are simply not up to the task of meeting the educational and developmental needs of our students, nor do they give our teachers the room they need to excel at the highest levels.
We now have three priorities for facilities construction in 2016 to 2019:
1. The Early Learning Campus, scheduled to open in Fall, 2017, will become the signature entry point for new families coming to Awty, giving our youngest learners in Grades PK3/PS to First/CP an outstanding beginning to their Awty educational experience, and giving their teachers the classrooms and the space they need to enhance their teaching abilities. The new campus on Post Oak Road across from Awty School Lane will feature:
- 5.25 acre campus, with 73,148 sq. ft. of building space vs. the current 14,200 sq. ft.;
- Outdoor features to include a large playground with play equipment and soccer field; a “trike track”; three outdoor flexible learning spaces; two student gardens;
- Twenty-five classrooms plus dedicated kitchen and dining facilities, as well as a teaching kitchen;
- Dedicated rooms for art, music and media, a library, and a regulation-size gym with a theatre stage and;
- Security fencing of the perimeter with guard stations at the carpool entry and visitor parking.
2. The Student Center, scheduled to open in the 2018-2019 school year,will be the hub of the campus. In addition to consolidating dining and food preparation services, it will provide open areas and multiple flex spaces for student groups to meet and work on projects, a “makers’ kitchen” and robotics lab for budding engineers, and the bookstore and library. Its construction will also free up the current dining halls to become classrooms as originally intended.
3. The Visual Arts Wing will expand students’ studio spaces, allow for more course offerings, and provide a gallery for more exhibitions.
- To be connected to the east side of the two-story classroom building;
- 13,144 sq. ft., featuring a large lecture hall, photo lab, digital lab, speech and debate room, ceramic studio, gallery, and Upper School and Middle School art rooms.
These facilities will have a dramatic impact on all our students:
To discuss Awty's capital improvements, please contact Kevin McTernan, Chief Advancement Officer at (713) 328-5836 or click HERE to email him.